Sunday, December 6, 2009

Making butter

Today I decided to make butter from a quart of heavy whipping cream.  Not only did I get almost a pound of butter but a little over 2 cups of buttermilk as well.  All you have to do is pour the heavy whipping cream in a bowl.  Since my bowl was small it took me three times longer.  So use a bigger bowl and make it all at once.  Then with a hand mixer and the wire whip attachment, whip until you start to see some liquid.  Push the almost butter to the side and strain into a cup.  I used my measuring cup.  Then whip some more until it holds together.  Using a spatula I squished as much of the liquid out as I could and strained it again.  Put the butter and buttermilk in containers and frigerate. That's all there is to it.  Can't wait to use the butter on the rosemary rolls I have raising to go with tonight's dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Will you do this when I'm up there next? That sounds soooo YUMMY! I'll bring some homemade bread ;)

    ReplyDelete